Re: [eigen] Eigen2 to Eigen3 Migration Path

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 8:35 PM, Tully Foote <tfoote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
At this point I still think that we should go on with the invasive
Eigen->Eigen3, EIGEN_->EIGEN3_ change. We can announce this change
very loudly. For users, adapting to it just some search&replace:
  namespace Eigen   ->  namespace Eigen3
  Eigen::   ->   Eigen3::
  EIGEN_   ->    EIGEN3_

I strongly support the proposal.  That is the cleanest way to progress forward.  It does impose a burden on the beta users.  However I believe that is better than imposing the corresponding burden on the users of the released version.

I am strongly voting against this change. Encoding the version number in the namespace is in my humblest opinion a very ugly solution!

Changing Eigen:: -> Eigen2:: on the other hand side seems fine since it would be only (*cough*) affecting Eigen2 users and such a change would not be carried on to future versions. What were the plans regarding the namespace adaption once we reach version 4? Are we then switching to Eigen4 and force everybody to change the ever-growing code base? Are we staying with Eigen3 while accepting the inherent confusion that might cause?

We are since almost 6 months advocating users to switch to Eigen3 and Benoit's quick check on the number of users has revealed that the user base of Eigen v2 and v3 is converging rapidly if they are not already en par.

Well, I don't know what else to say. Maybe just that we should try very hard to find out how to make code that is currently running based on Eigen v2 compile with v3 + EIGEN2_SUPPORT. Recompiling any dependencies is then something that should in my opinion be accepted.

Kind regards,
Hauke