Re: [eigen] bibtex

2010/8/20 Hauke Heibel <hauke.heibel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Hi,

many times users are asking how to cite Eigen. So far, there is no
publication and thus we need to rely on misc bibtex entries.

Hi Hauke,
Thanks for taking care of this in a rational way, indeed we've had to answer this kind of question many times...

The following bibtex entry (just a discussion base)

@MISC{eigenweb,
 author = {Beno\^{i}t Jacob and Ga\"{e}l Gunnebaud and et al.},

Missing an 'e' in Gael's last name ;-)
Also, note that in alphabetic order of last name, Gael comes first. (At least in mathematics, author lists are always sorted alphabetically, which means that you shouldn't co-author a paper with someone whom you don't consider to be of equal importance, which IMO is a great thing; and I know that CS might have different practices but here at least I think the mathematicians are doing the Right Thing).

 title = {Eigen v3},
 howpublished = {http://eigen.tuxfamily.org},
 year = {2010}
}

May generate the following outputs for different bibtex styles.

1) Jacob B., Gunnebaud G., and et al. Eigen v3.
http://eigen.tuxfamily.org, 2010.
2) Jacob, B., Gunnebaud, G., et al., 2010. Eigen v3. http://eigen.tuxfamily.org
3) B. Jacob, G. Gunnebaud, and et al. Eigen v3.
http://eigen.tuxfamily.org, 2010.

1) \bibliographystyle{acm} (actual everything is rendered using small caps)
2) \bibliographystyle{model2-names}
3) \bibliographystyle{ieee}

There are many more styles and I just wanted to give you an impression
about what this looks like.

ok, thanks.

In text citations are most often numeric e.g. [12]. The natbib package
(\citet, \citep, etc.) cites by author and in that case, the result
will be e.g.

B. Jacob et al. (2010)

because there are more than two (and et al. is considered another one)
authors listed.

This is really bad, but there probably are ways to work around that:
  - isn't there a way of saying "et al" other than adding "et al" as 3rd author?
  - or we could work around it all by entering "X, Y et al" as a single author name. But I guess that would kill automatic mining, as on citebase.org.
  - or consider calling ourselves collectively "Eigen developers" but I don't want to remove Gael a just retribution for all his Eigen work (it might be important for him to have citations in his own name; me, I don't really care, since I'm no longer in academia).

Thanks,
Benoit

Again, this is in text, in the reference list it will
most likely look similar to either 1), 2) or 3).

Finally, I know that there is a URL tag in bibtex, but this is just
meta information which is most often discarded by the citation style.
Only 'howpublished' guaranteed in all three examples that the web-site
is mentioned.

Regards,
Hauke