|Re: [eigen] Documentation : it's a sprint!!|
[ Thread Index |
| More lists.tuxfamily.org/eigen Archives
- To: eigen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [eigen] Documentation : it's a sprint!!
- From: Carlos Becker <carlosbecker@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 18:30:23 +0100
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:in-reply-to :references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=DFf8ESYfgNe37JFdCLKnxJ8SdJduz5wnrXdeBlHjoFo=; b=u9MjjFMNXWwkkhkIoLJRAs7lHwiU+21OT+lqc8WzQwzg8FLDxi8N1FmDVWuZJuerL/ lRSvmaWaGt4PkgJj2PcWoCNTQl4yjyTnwmwiua8wW42RJlYmk1wxIOiAZCHBhjNzct0a Z/0begTYUnhM8rqAn5L+rkWE9B0Hu9whsvAr4=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; b=CQviSvZLYgk34ZiQtALvdZq/XzhOaXfuezrI33l3VSbucK7HIjtmZM4jh4hfroWN8J YzR6q1uFmH+faAAYJ/klLM1owBC8Jv6d73akG2uILINGzlBrz3/noFz2v1Gq2sc9DAUj 2PRbRH+4wBuPhfD12pLh8Zf6cO0S4Gzx2Eoss=
Oh btw, I remember talking with Benoit about this, and he proposed that the advanced stuff should be in the end, but I guess that it could be a bit confusing, since, IMO, it is better to group things into categories, and maybe put the advanced examples in the end of a tutorial section (instead of in the end of the whole tutorial page).
On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 6:28 PM, Carlos Becker <carlosbecker@xxxxxxxxx>
Hi Jitse, I think those are good ideas. For each section (if possible/worth it) a subsection called 'Advanced examples' with things like those.. What do you thin Benoit? (I am asking him since he is the one taking care of the whole organization of the docs).
On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 6:22 PM, Jitse Niesen <jitse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
I think the examples on page 4 of the tutorial (on blocks) are perhaps a bit too basic. I would like to add more exciting stuff, like
m.row(i) += 3 * m.row(j); (*)
What do you (in particular, Carlos, who is doing great work on the tutorial) think? Obviously, many people reading the tutorial are beginners - that's what it is for - so we should be careful to keep it simple. Perhaps (*) is too hard ?
On page 3 (arrays), perhaps we should mention mat1.cwiseMul(mat2) as an alternative to mat1.array() * mat2.array() ?
And what about other coefficient-wise operations, like array.square() ?
Or would that make the tutorial too long?
There are some topics which we might consider adding to the tutorial:
* output, how to change precision (perhaps more obvious now but that used
to be a common question), .format() or whatever it's called
* special matrices (triangular, diagonal, etc)
Again, would these make the tutorial too long?
Of course, I realize that raising these issues may well mean I have to do it, but I'm not very certain of them so I thought I'd raise them first.