Re: [eigen] Allocation policy of eigen decompositions

2010/3/5 Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx>:
> 2010/3/5 Márton Danóczy <marton78@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> Dear Adolfo,
>>
>> and while you're at it - it would be also useful to have the
>> decompositions (or, at least in my case, HouseholderQR) work
>> optionally in-place. Internally, HouseholderQR copies its argument
>> into its member m_qr of the same type and performs the decomposition
>> on that, so it would be easy to expose this behaviour as an option, at
>> least for decompositions without pivoting. Benoit, you being the
>> master of the decompositions API, what do you think?
>
> Indeed that would be a great addition. Fortunately, here again, it
> seems to me that that can be done at any later date without impacting
> the existing API.
>
> Possible approach: add a computeInPlace() method, where you put 99% of
> the code of the existing compute() method, and rewrite compute() to
> just copy the matrix to a temporary and call computeInPlace().
>
> This is just adding API, doesn't require changing existing API. So
> again --- patches welcome, not my own priority :)

Wait! I said something stupid. All other methods in the decomposition
will still try to address the stored matrix member that never was
initialized. Bad!

A quick and dirty solution is to use: FullPivLU<MatrixXd&>

But that's not very good as it instantiates again a second time all
the code from FullPivLU<MatrixXd>.

The real solution is probably to store in addition to the member
matrix, a member pointer to a matrix.

All methods would use the pointer, not directly the member matrix.

The in-place decomposition method would set the pointer to point to
the matrix passed to it.

The non-in-place method would copy the matrix into the member matrix
and let the pointer point to that.

Opinions?

Benoit

> Benoit
>

>> Marton
>>
>> 2010/3/5 Adolfo Rodríguez Tsouroukdissian <dofo79@xxxxxxxxx>:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have a question on what the allocation policy of the eigen 3.x matrix
>>> decompositions will be, for this will strongly bias how I use eigen on
>>> different parts of my code.
>>>
>>> On the one hand, I know that the template parameters of the matrix to be
>>> decomposed (size, options, max size, ...) will be propagated to all the
>>> decomposition's members and temporaries [1], so if the input matrix is
>>> stack-allocated, so will be the internals of a decomposition. So far so
>>> good.
>>>
>>> On the other hand, I had the expectation that if heap-allocated matrices are
>>> used, all heap allocations of the decomposition algorithm would take place
>>> during the initialization phase, and none would be done in the computation
>>> phase (provided that the initialization and computation matrices have the
>>> same size in memory). This currently does not seem to be the case. For
>>> example,
>>>
>>> MatrixXd I(MatrixXd::Identity(16, 16));
>>> MatrixXd A(MatrixXd::Random(16, 16));   // Same size as I
>>>
>>> Eigen::FullPivLU<MatrixXd> lu(I);       // Allocates 5 temps
>>> lu.compute(A);                          // Allocates 2 extra temps
>>>
>>> Eigen::JacobiSVD<MatrixXd> svd(I);      // Allocates 4 temps
>>> svd.compute(A);                         // Allocates 1 extra temp
>>>
>>> I haven't checked where the extra allocations in compute() come from, but my
>>> question is, can and will they be prevented for 3.x? or is this an
>>> intentional design decision? (and if so, for what reasons).
>>>
>>> TIA,
>>>
>>> Adolfo
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> http://listengine.tuxfamily.org/lists.tuxfamily.org/eigen/2010/03/msg00095.html
>>>

>>> --
>>> Adolfo Rodríguez Tsouroukdissian, Ph. D.
>>>
>>> Robotics engineer
>>> PAL ROBOTICS S.L
>>> http://www.pal-robotics.com
>>> Tel. +34.93.414.53.47