|Re: [eigen] new eigen2 release (2.0.12) runs slower than 2.0.0 ?|
[ Thread Index |
| More lists.tuxfamily.org/eigen Archives
- To: eigen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [eigen] new eigen2 release (2.0.12) runs slower than 2.0.0 ?
- From: leon zadorin <leonleon77@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 18:56:09 +1100
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=XKxDA5KI/suse+CBeEY1Q/Y5SAF1Do5Cv2uHhbBx5Ss=; b=l8n9cXTAwCxDMYUdGoXpM/1gmSGJn4ovlzPBq577oj1w28PFCSfCCRvccPenVZUBxD ZRnL0mTSYqRWErKTM/I+rzxxR31z5e5Os+MirJtAnjE+6j//L8mWCm0s03VPKJrmMnrr V2G6HydWshjXhRhfsrPtW0ey2cCpeYbMSWUVU=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; b=Py3hlprCxkqfqIpncTYQc1Y+yBGVzBANg3KByNA2e2WcXuJb3ld2aoSJa8aYcMxtl2 DLsK03/R4WHBQHwqMHdLBbpJvb+tMIsntN7s7EECEPnucN1oLU/3m0Ct2GNB16UD5D62 ybGj31g6YlF7hrlW/ILuPmLKQxHfp+3/Zw7Wg=
On 3/2/10, Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What you report sounds very interesting but we indeed need more
> details in order to do anything about it. Ideally, if you could
> produce a self-contained, compilable benchmark...
> Here are some ideas.
Great -- thanks for that -- I'll try to run those as soon as I get
some free time for this issue.
In the meantime, I had compiled/ran with some of the different
versions of eigen2 and it would appear at this stage that the slowdown
was introduced in 2.0.7 (i.e. up to, and including, 2.0.6 there is no
slowdown) yet at 2.0.7 there is a distinct/noticeable slowdown.
Just in case if you might find this interesting before I get around to
trying your suggestions...
> First let's check for potentially stupid compiler optimizations:
> - what happens if you remove -ffast-math?
> - what happens if you replace -O3 by -O2 ?
> Is it 32bit or 64bit code?
> If you disable vectorization (EIGEN_DONT_VECTORIZE) on both sides, how
> does performance compare?
> 2010/3/1 leon zadorin <leonleon77@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> Hi all -- just a generic question w.r.t. benchmarking being done to
>> compare older vs newer eigen2 releases to see if, inadvertently, there
>> are performance-related regressions...
>> I have noticed that v 2.0.12 appears to have slowed down in comparison
>> to 2.0.0_1 ...
>> Currently, it's too time-consuming for me to unwind the code for a
>> particular bottleneck -- I have simply noticed that a complex function
>> (log-likelihood calculations made up from large dynamic matricies of
>> mainly column-major layout with some exp, cwise, select, etc. calls)
>> are taking ~3.4 seconds to calculate with 2.0.12 whilst taking ~3.1
>> seconds with the 2.0.0 (exactly same app's code and compilation
>> options (e.g. -DNDEBUG -O3 -ffast-math -march=native on E6550 core2
>> duo cpu -- implying SSE3 et al, eigen_vectorization macros etc etc
>> etc)... running with gcc 4.4 (threading model single) on FreeBSD with
>> drawf eh.
>> My current question would be if the new versions/releases of Eigen do
>> undergo the comparative (to earlier versions) performance-related
>> benchmarks tests to find any performance regressions et al?
>> The benchmarks page
>> appears to list march, 2009 (oldish) as the date for benchmarks?
>> ... and it only compares eigen2 vs other libs... are there any
>> already-done marks w.r.t. eigen vs eigen of different versions out
>> Kind regards