Re: [eigen] QR factorization question

I should have said that triangularView is currently only for square
matrices. Don't call it on rectangular matrices, as it will silently
fail/crash, at the moment there isn't anything to guard that.

If you need to call triangularView on a rectangular matrix, at the
moment you need to first call block() or corner() manually, like

QR.block(0,0,n,n).triangularView....

The matrix Q is square, as it's meant to be. It's true that an
"economy size decomposition" would be nice to have, we don't offer
this at the moment. Your best approach for now is to write your own
code based on the code for matrixQ() in the file HouseholderQR.h. Feel
free to submit a patch, but before we can include that we need to
fully understand how a "economy size decomposition" works, i.e. what's
the mathematical meaning of such an economy Q, it's not fully clear in
my head at the moment.

Finally,
> is there some way to figure out what the triangularView call did (what it
> multiplied matrixQR with to make matrixQR upper triangular)

triangularView doesn't multiply anything ! it just takes a matrix and
"views" it as a triangular matrix by ignoring (regarding as 0) the
coefficients outside of the said triangle.

Benoit