[ Thread Index |
| More lists.tuxfamily.org/eigen Archives
- To: eigen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [eigen] Eigen/FFT
- From: Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 15:40:27 +0200
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=0LWEz+CbSeR5EMX0NltjgKeRp6//K0eH7D70SPz32/k=; b=KBgsy3v2f2Vqkp+O6dklq+cZZAFx4i8Js5rDnGvAXxhc+Mt0MgBbe+u4v3summOYCT fDArX4uy7MPmuizW5qh+O/hncKlxWOVmIVWtlcTYJAv2cZc6/7yk/3E8bA0e7Wqq7lti 3JdXNWHybRNWdqUyaF/2B/utCBUWLMPhnd7g8=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type:content-transfer-encoding; b=SHljQH2kgMxnvCtm+kEM3UKmwV3jV24rOs3ojfYIWpIEvUB56rrxjQ4uYsp9p/mBTz qhMv9WTug6h1n6vLFy/9jdEV2LChkBE4tOv0peQCvLV6zMjkA/qKzYXQWYzeBhU4Fbhx xCgQqCGrf9Zolcx0gZ2inT7V8FqDUFzdVVMbk=
Please can you turn off HTML email composing? (not that it matters to
me personnally, but other people have email clients that will display
only plain-text, either because they're text-only or as a security
2009/6/17 Mark Borgerding <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Rohit Garg wrote:
> Regrading multidimensional transforms, I doubt if it will be easy (API
> wise) since the rest of Eigen is geared towards Matrices and vectors
> only. BTW, is it even within the scope of goal of Eigen to do this?
Eigen is squarely specialized on vectors (1d) and matrices (2d).
Higher-dimensional arrays aren't part of the basic design, so at most
they could be emulated using vectors but they aren't going to be first
> When I've been saying "multidimensional", I've been thinking first and foremost about 2d matrices.
> The mechanics of 2d,3d,... FFTs are so similar that we may as well allow arbitrary dimensions.
It's your call (i don't have the FFT experience to say whether that's
a wanted feature or not)... as long as emulating higher dimensional
arrays with vectors is OK for you, it's ok for me.
> And yes, FFTW's plan creation API is not threadsafe. Their FFT
> execution api is. This should be emphasised in the docs since the rest
> of API is stateless and trivially threadsafe.
> Good point.
> Does Eigen have access to and make use of any threading and synchronization primitives?
Eigen has no dependency, and the standard library doesn't offer that
(as far as I know?), so the answer is no. If this were a must-have
feature, we would have to choose a library and make it a dependency
for the FFT module. But i don't see a clear choice here. If it's just
about making the plan creation thread safe, i'd say it's too much
trouble so just document the non-thread-safety.