packetwise complex format for vectorization, was Re: [eigen] FFT for Eigen

Just random thoughts on maintaining ABI:

Is the ei_matrix_storage::data() function the only way to access the raw data buffer?
If so, then a check point could be placed there that would reformat packetwise storage. e.g. r0,r1,r2,r3,i0,i1,i2,i3 back to interleaved r0,i0...r3,i3
Any complex functions that could benefit from a packetwise storage scheme would jump through hoops and use a dedicated API that prevented the automatic conversion to interleaved format.

On a related side note, if you wanted to access the scrambled elements of a float buffer by index; you can move around the low order 3 bits of the index:
base + 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7  => base + 0,2,4,6,1,3,5,7

something like: ( i & ~7 )   |  ((i>>2)&1 )  |  ((i&3)<<1)

but it might be faster to use a lookup table for index scrambling.
i.e.:  i + lut[i&7]
where lut ={ 0,1,2,3,-3,-2,-1,0 }

-- Mark