Re: [eigen] FFT for Eigen

I have been using fftw as well [1], and by doing so I also end up
copying the data, which is a pity, so I would also very much
appreciate such a module.

There are several tricky points I have been bumping into:

1- If I recall correctly, when creating a plan, you pass it two
pointers (or optionally when done inplace, only one) that have been
allocated by fftw.  This way fftw assures they are aligned, etc.
Maybe there is lower level API fftw which might let you apply plans to
pointers you have allocated on your own, otherwise, I don't know how a
copy could be avoided.

2- The complex type matrices in Eigen are still somewhat basic.  I
think they are just a Matrix with data type std::complex (real and
imaginary components are interleaved).  Which for some use cases is
not great.  For example if I am going to do a lot of vector operations
with the real and imaginary part separately, these operations cannot
be easily vectorized (correct me if I'm wrong).  On the other hand it
is true that this storage might be the one used by most external
libraries.
It has been already a long time since I told Benoit I would write a
wiki page for this discussion, but still haven't.  Sorry for that.

[1] Here you can find the way I'm currently using FFTW in case it can
help (I'm no C++ pro, you have been warned :) ):
http://github.com/rikrd/loudia/blob/1d8a766c8c171f1e6b02502854fca3362d66aa6d/src/FFT.h
http://github.com/rikrd/loudia/blob/1d8a766c8c171f1e6b02502854fca3362d66aa6d/src/FFT.cpp

ricard

--