[ Thread Index |
| More lists.tuxfamily.org/eigen Archives
- To: eigen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [eigen] git
- From: Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 21:41:26 +0200
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=1IkMpqkaxV2XuJeMOEo4QWx6vJo1RgpgXwtUHyUSDb8=; b=XPukTOoReLhcvnX/hCT9Jc9RTJf4pNnKZH1GzgGgIoFWXA+Wbve3b6kKBj/7Fq6FTP +sSrwh04l0eILOxjU7L+fRjaH5ZmJSX2zh6aVyjJW4C9kw+xVkEavMv1qPhPAI7UxEB5 GjyAOBWHE97993enZR0Nj4MFvTZwFJPyECa5w=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type:content-transfer-encoding; b=T484+WbI7ZB72cMuiyTmrE+gDsng4Bn1XOvdjcwGfflXpWeSX2tFWU9xd/Pa283fPY nkw7MWefN+/FtyROzYb7gdql/6EQ2Ij6Y1m01dFYvQdw6cyGN/ZHHjPnlsLEIH0s+Pan moDtBz74Jlyd1BzqD/gkU5wRMkWYRMV6iIATc=
and thinking more about it, and discussing with Thomas: this operation
is really bad for KDE's SVN server.
it's downloading 30% of all of KDE's history when really there is no reason to!
So I stop it.
- either there's a way to convert from svn to git without checking all
revisions in the given timespan, only the revisions that matter for
the given directories;
- or we use Mercurial.
Again, the problem didn't exist when converting only trunk/kdesupport/eigen2.
The problem seems to be that the "greatest common divisors" between
our trunk,branches,tags in SVN is the root.
2009/5/1 Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx>:
> updating you with my findings....
> i have "git svn fetch" still running and made it start right away at
> the first eigen2 revision, 669000.
> after 2 or 3 hours, it tells me a funny warning and mentions that it
> has gone through revision 723000. But the local directory is still
> empty (well, just a skeleton).
> This tells us:
> - that git-svn is traversing all revisions a first time before
> actually starting importing
> - that it really checks all revisions, even if they don't affect the
> directories i asked for
> - that this first phase is going to take at least 10 hours
> I'll let this run for the weekend. We'll see...
> 2009/5/1 Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> OK, I've been trying very hard to convert eigen to git, but i have trouble.
>> It's fairly easy to get eigen trunk on git. The problem is to get the
>> branches and tags.
>> The reason why not everybody hit the same issue already, is that KDE
>> is a huge monolithic repo.
>> When I tell git-svn to look in
>> then "git svn fetch" just gets stalled. It will use 1%-30% CPU and do
>> network activity, but doesn't create any file on my hard disk drive,
>> and doesn't output anything in the console. I waited 5 hours.
>> By contrast, if I only mention /trunk/kdesupport/eigen2, then after
>> some stupid warnings it works. So I have trunk ported to git. However
>> if I then add the branches and tags, it gets stalled again.
>> I tried listing explicitly the branches and tags, so no wildcards. No
>> Attached: .git/config and my authors file, in case you want to try.
>> Meanwhile, Thomas aka orzel has been able to move eigen to Hg with no
>> problem at all, with all the tags etc.
>> So if nobody can help me with git, I'd propose using hg.
>> 2009/4/30 Moritz Lenz <mlenz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> Benoit Jacob wrote:
>>>> Thanks everybody for your input.
>>>> I'll ask github for a repository and I'll keep you posted.
>>> No need, you can simply sign up, and create one.
>>> (usually you sign up as a normal user, but you could also create an 'eigen'
>>> user so it feels a bit more official).