Re: [eigen] patch to add ACML support to BTL

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 9:20 AM, Rohit Garg <rpg.314@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think that with new library versions, new eigen versions, and new
> gcc we should put these results on the main benchmark page of eigen
> website. BTW I think the eigen's performance has slipped considerably
> when I look at your Pentium D benchmarks, or it's all attributable to
> core2 being a much better cpu?

thanks for the benchs,

core2 is indeed much better than a Pentium D, and since I only have a
core2, the critical parts (matrix-matrix products) are only fine tuned
for the core2. Another reason is that gcc 4.3 generates slower code
than 4.2: some constant expressions are not removed out the inner
loops, it is not optimal with block expressions, and by default 4.3
automatically generates vectorized code which conflicts with Eigen's
automatic vectorization. 4.4 do not suffer from all these issues, and
sometimes, gcc 4.4 auto-vec is even better than Eigen's explicit one
because it better understands what it is doing: an example is rank-2
update which simply consists in a series "v += ax + by" ops. But
Eigen's explicit vec is still worth it because we are able to
vectorize much more cases than gcc. Examples: "v = ax + by" is not
vectorized by gcc, matrix products, vectorization + explicit
unrolling, in the future sin, cos, pow, exp, etc.

gael