Re: [eigen] Owl sketch

Attached more sketches, we could mix and match the bits of the various
owls. (e.g. I think the book works better than the chalk under his
left wing.)

(Apologies for the incredibly bad "scan"... I do not have easy access
to a scanner at the moment, so I used a camera for this (and the
previous). My wonderful picture-taking skills also cut off some text,
so some of it was rewritten with the GIMP by a left-handed person
using a mouse right-handed. :-D)

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 5:29 AM, Benoît Jacob <jacob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  1) Your owl looks quite old/serious, I wonder what could be done to make it
>  look younger. Maybe it's the shape of the head, with the eyes very near the
>  feathers that delimit the bottom of the head, which (remotely) evocates
>  flappy cheeks/eyebags. Maybe you could also experiment with an open beak, as
>  if it were shouting "eureka!!" or "it feels good to be a fluffy owl"
>  enthusiastically.

Are the new faces better?

>  2) About the readability of the identity matrix, especially at smaller sizes,
>  I'd suggest reducing the number of 1's. Probably 4 are enough.

Yes, that seems to work better.

>  3) About the professor hat on the stick, I wonder if that will still be
>  understandable at smaller sizes. The hat's ribbon on the head might also be
>  harder to understand at smaller sizes.

Hrm, maybe. Scaling the sketch down, it's still mostly visible, but it
might be somewhat unclear. It also protrudes a lot, which would make
the owl smaller on 135x135, which might not be so great.

>  4) Maybe (I know I'm pushing it) it's worth experimenting without the hat and
>  stick, instead rasing the right wing in a professorly way ?

Is the upper-left "professorly"? (Ignore the hat on his ear. I
couldn't resist. :-D) I'm not really sure how one raises an arm/wing
professorly.

--
David Benjamin [ aka Dnas the Great ]
``Insanity is a gradual process. Don't rush it.''