Re: [eigen] update

On Thursday 11 October 2007 05:42:25 Schleimer, Ben wrote:
> > - provide a nicer API than gmm++ does, for instance overloaded operators.
>
> Ok

I just understood the other reason why gmm++ doesn't overload operators, not
even assignment operators. gmm++ hasn't fully decided whether it was a
standalone library or a glue between other existing libraries. So it tries to
be easily extensible to interface with any other library. The problem is then
that you can't overload assignment operators from outside a class.

This is where we can add something. We, contrary to gmm++, don't aim at being
easily extensible from the outside.

Just defining our "branding" :)

> > - provide Qt-style copy-on-write, canceling the overhead of the
> > overloaded operators returning by value; thus it'd still not be as good
> > as expression templates but already quite good.
>
> Wow, I guess this is a requirement.

No worry, this one is easy. There's also good documentation about this coding
pattern.

> > I'd very much welcome help with the sparse stuff, as I'm already busy
> > enough with the rest :)
>
> I'm pretty slammed by work but If i ever get a free moment, I'll look into
> trying to start wrapping the sparse gmm++ classes. (but don't count on me
> yet :(
> Anyway, keep up the good work. I love the progress...

Me too, as I'll be defending my phd thesis in one week! Thanks for the kind
words.