Re: [eigen] Re: Eigen 2, expression templates, and tvmet

On Wednesday 30 May 2007 11:16:27 Andre Krause wrote:
> hello benoit, i like the idea to stand on tvmets shoulders! i like
> tvmet, we are using it internally for a small simulation project.

Very good! If you have time, your experience with tvmet can be very useful to
us. I'll post a TODO soon so everybody can see if there's something he wants
to help with.

> but tvmet is missing some stuff (for example pseudoinverse calculation),
> that hopefully will then be available with Eigen2.

adding that to my mental TODO...

> could you keep the number of include files low?

That depends on what you can "low", but as you know tvmet already is much more
complex and has a much larger number of include files than eigen1. So will be
Eigen2. On top of that, there will also be the GMM wrapper. So I'm afraid the
number of include files won't be exactly "low" :) but that's life, one gets
nothing for nothing :)

> and please, no c++ files
> if possible. what i most like about boost, tvmet and other template
> libraries is, that one does not need to link with a library.

Yes, I can say that Eigen will remain a pure-template-library, i.e. no binary
library to link to. Only header files.

> anyway - i am eager to see eigen2, it will definitely rock! tvmet was
> very very well designed, i liked everything about it! eigen2 can only
> get better!

Thanks for the encouraging words :) I'm currently doing a general cleanup and
CMake-ification of TVMET before I actually start with Eigen2.

-Benoit