Re: [AD] No more GNA

On Sat, March 4, 2017 1:52 pm, SiegeLord wrote:
> So apparently gna.org will be shutting down soonish, see
> https://mail.gna.org/public/project/2016-11/msg00001.html for the
> announcement.
>
> Right now we use gna.org for the downloads and the file hosting, while
> Github contains the website, repository and the bugs.
>
> For the downloads, in principle we can attach the release archives to
> tags on Github without much issue, but some of the files will have to be
> placed elsewhere, perhaps in the website repository. Github has a total
> size limit for the repositories, so we might possibly need to upgrade to
> their paid offering (I can provide the funds).
>
> For the mailing list, I think it is a great thing to have, because the
> historical context that you can glean from the archives is invaluable
> sometimes. Github doesn't provide mailing list hosting, and in fact it's
> not at all obvious where to find a place that does.
>
> There is an option to go back to SourceForge for the mailing list and
> perhaps the files (although their mucking around with the files was one
> of the reasons we left in the first place).
>
> Alternatively, it'd be neat to just self-host such things. I am somewhat
> annoyed that I'll have to go back to homebrew and other places to update
> where to download our archives, it'd be great if it could just be
> liballeg.org/files/allegro/...tar.gz in perpetuity. Again, I can provide
> the funds but unfortunately none of the expertise, as I've never had to
> host a website before, nevermind a mailing list.
>
> Any opinions on how to proceed? We should decide and implement things
> soonish, I think we have 1-2 months before gna closes for good.
>
> -SL

Mail can be a tough setup to do right to avoid being blocked and so on.
I've done it but I don't want to ever do it again... I suggest using
SourceForge at least for the mailing list.

How much bandwidth do we need for files? I currently have a VPS for $20
(not suggesting to use mine, but one like it) that gets unlimited
throughput at 100 Mbit. Not sure that's fast enough though. Next step up
is a dedicated box which is around $100/mo and I believe gets 1 Gbit.
Regardless of where it's hosted, I can set up a web server on a
Debian/Linux box if you need me to.