Re: [AD] Finding a solution to the Windows problem

On 04/11/2015 09:57 AM, AJ wrote:

pfft!  kids today...   aren't capable of reading 10 lines of
instructions in a README.

just make some tutorial videos of someone building allegro with mingw
and stick it on you-tube.

i honestly believe this is probably far more valuable to noobs than any
well worded README can ever be.

and don't skip over things that you think are trivial...   if it turns
out to be a 30 mins video for what is to you and me a 5 min job, so be it.

i say mingw instead of MSVC, because it's something i know you can
easily show how to install and have working in minimal steps and it's
really hard to get wrong.. especially with those awesome mingw distros.

with MSVC, there are 5 versions.. each with different dialogs, and the
typical user of msvc can't even tell you what a environment variable is!

Yeah, this is definitely possible to do with MinGW (we have a pretty easy-to-follow tutorial for mingw-w64 already... it takes very little time to go through it), but I'm really interested in the MSVC issue. It really is hard to get things compiling on MSVC (the dependencies that is, Allegro is easy once that's done).

As Thomas said, we'd just support the latest version only (unless it's trivial to support more of them). Recently MSVC became... free-ish... so we'd start at supporting the 2013 community edition (unless they come out with a new one before we get this sorted out).

-SL