Re: [AD] Finding a solution to the Windows problem

On 04/11/2015 06:27 AM, Elias Pschernig wrote:
I wonder if we should ask Micał for his build scripts. However I think
those required quite a bit of manual work - I think he downloaded all
the upstream dependencies and his build scripts compiled all of them
as well as Allegro with each compiler (he supported several versions
of MSVC and mingw I think), ignoring any build systems Allegro or any
of the dependencies would have. As long as there's no package manager
that's probably the best option there is.

This might be a start, although I'd want to get them to produce binaries with the same name as produced by the build systems. The difference in names has routinely made things difficult when switching platforms. As I said, I think there's no way around making our own build systems for at least a few of the dependencies.

Nuget sounds nice, I didn't know about it. Did you try compiling
Allegro with MSVC using nuget dependencies?

The AppVeyor continuous build thing I added to Allegro uses Nuget to grab the Freetype dependency (see appveyor.yml in the root directory). It's a bit of a hack, but the actual binary seems to link fine. I imagine if we made a Nuget Allegro package it'd avoid that hack and "just work", but I'm not familiar enough with it. Also, not all the dependencies are on Nuget.

About mingw-w64, I don't think there's a good reason to provide
something else right now for us. It's not very hard to compile with
mingw (well, msys2/mingw-w64 at least) and so if you need some other
mingw for some reason, that option always remains.

Yeah, it's a fine first step.

I think we also should come up with a solution for OSX, it's not easy
compiling yourself there either.

They have homebrew, we can just provide our own 'recipe' (there's already one for 5.0). I think this is perfectly reasonable.

-SL