Re: [AD] Finding a solution to the Windows problem

On 04/11/2015 11:03 AM, Max Savenkov wrote:
I keep wondering... Most Allegro dependencies has CMake files (official
or unofficial). For some of the others, it should be easy to write one.
Having all dependencies compile via CMake should make building Allegro
for MSVC fairly trivial, no? The only problem I know of is FreeType,
which has its own build system, but it has support for VS, and it should
be easy to write a CMake file that just calls this build script with
proper arguments.

Yeah, that's what I had in mind. Making everything use CMake would make MSVC support pretty easy.

Also, there is always an option to fix dependencies version, and compile
all of them by hand, and then just put ready-made binaries somewhere.
How often do we need a newer version of FreeType or libpng, really? It
is even possible to do it for all versions of MSVC in use (I'd say drop
2005 and 2008, but support 2010-2013/2015).

Yeah, that's another option although I found it difficult to compile some of those even once, hah.

-SL