Re: [AD] Problems with gamepad on MacOS X and general thoughts

The Mac OS X code already does read the HID device directly and still gets
it wrong (as with my joystick reporting Z's for the second stick...)

-----Original Message-----
From: Beoran [mailto:beoran@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: March 24, 2015 10:37 PM
To: Allegro Development
Subject: Re: [AD] Problems with gamepad on MacOS X and general thoughts

When I check the USB HID standard, joysticks seem much better described
there in the way of axes and button layout. So it's really the OS driver
that maps the game devices in a lazy way, i feel.

Maybe in the long term we should directly read the raw HID device to take
advantage of this information? We could crib a few things from this portable
BSD licensed library:
https://github.com/signal11/hidapi

The advantage of raw HID is that it's inherently portable across all
platforms.
The disadvantage is that it may not always work.
For example, on, Linux, some input devices are not allowed to export a raw
HID api.

Kind Regards,

B.