[AD] 5.1 refactoring

In case someone would be offended, or, more likely, if it would conflict
with someone's changes, here's some warning.  I put up a branch
(5.1-refactoring-experiment) where I split up some files into more
focused pieces.

I likely won't be able to transfer all the changes to the proper 5.1
branch because they would be too hard to backport to 5.0.  So some
changes will have to wait until 5.2.0+ is out and 5.0.x releases stop.

Possibly I have too much time on my hands.

Peter