Re: [AD] More X Mode Setting

On January 4, 2011, Peter Wang wrote:
> On 2011-01-04, Thomas Fjellstrom <tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > What do people think should happen? Do we even support xf86vm? It seems
> > to have too many problems. the scrolling would make most apps using two
> > monitors virtually useless. Dropping xf86vm would mean no modes or mode
> > setting available in places where xrandr isn't available (real xinerama
> > for example, the nvidia driver seems to disable xrandr when
> > multi-head+xinerama is enabled).
>
> AFAIK there is no solution.  If you want, feel free to restrict
> XF86VidMode to single monitor use.
>
> X really, really doesn't want you to change the resolution.  Even with
> randr, it is going against the grain, otherwise the API would have some
> provision to automatically restore the display mode on exit.
> So, I wouldn't worry to much about it.

XRandR actually works rather well for Allegro's use. Should I add another hard
coded check for "more than one monitor" for this case, or just keep the
XGrabPointer, so it will just lock the mouse to one of the displays? That
would effectively make it near impossible to actually use additional displays
for anything.

> See also my and Matthew's independently arrived-at ideas for "emulating"
> fullscreen modes.  We did it for non-matching colour depths in A4, we
> can do it for non-matching resolutions modes in A5.

Then at some point we'd provide some "virtual" modes? Or just allow setting of
modes that don't appear in the mode lists? Right now, at least with the X
implementation, if the mode isn't in the mode list, it can't/won't set it.
(xrandr and xf86vm both theoretically support adding modes on the fly... but I
haven't really bothered to look into supporting that)

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx