Re: [AD] More X Mode Setting

On January 3, 2011, Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
> I have another potential problem. This one is a bit more serious than the
> last if it can't be solved.
>
> Basically, the old school XF86VidMode extension when used to set a smaller
> mode, will enable that funky view port panning, and since the windows
> aren't right next to each other, you have to move the mouse quite far,
> panning one window right off screen to get to the other window.
>
> Its rather horrible. And at this point I'm not sure if it can be fixed. I'm
> asking on #xorg-devel right now, but I don't hold much hope in solving it.
> I'm hoping theres a way to disable view port panning temporarily, and X
> will then we won't even need to grab the mouse.
>
> Right now the code grabs the mouse pointer, which locks the mouse cursor to
> one of the windows and won't let it go, so its impossible to mouse over to
> the second window in ex_dualies.
>
> This isn't a problem if xrandr is in use.

At any rate, multi-head + xinerama works as well now as I can get it. Just
gotta re test plain multi-head, and then make sure everything still works ok
with pure xrandr.

I have found that metacity is a little brain dead. It seems no matter what you
do, it will always cause your window to not overlap the panels, so they will
always be on top. Even if you ask for _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN and
_NET_WM_STATE_ABOVE, and set a size hint with PPosition. Nothing seems to
help, so I've had to modify the code some more, semi-restoring that one
fullscreen_to_display function, and adding a "post_setup" mmon hook which sets
the viewport to where the window is, rather than 0x0 where the window /should
be/. Though that only seems to happen in combination with setting a mode with
the xf86vidmode extension.

Sometimes X is a bit frustrating ;D

What do people think should happen? Do we even support xf86vm? It seems to
have too many problems. the scrolling would make most apps using two monitors
virtually useless. Dropping xf86vm would mean no modes or mode setting
available in places where xrandr isn't available (real xinerama for example,
the nvidia driver seems to disable xrandr when multi-head+xinerama is
enabled).

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx