Re: [AD] 5.0.0 final release plan

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 5:20 AM, Thomas Fjellstrom
<tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ignoring for the moment that those directories aren't quite right (close
> enough), the shared bits on linux are a bit problematic. Some installer would
> have to put them there, I guess the package manager if thats how the game was
> installed. Normally a user wouldn't have permissions to make such a shared
> folder. It has to be someone with root/super-user permissions.

On OS X, there is /Users/Shared. I think that could be used as the
base for both SHARED_DATA and SHARED_SETTINGS. (But maybe
SHARED_SETTINGS doesn't even need to exist. It would imply sharable,
writable settings, but I don't think that's super important.
APP_SETTINGS could always be edited by an admin user by hand.)

If we don't mind reusing paths, then SHARED_DATA and APP_DATA could be
the same on Windows, because I think APP_DATA (c:\programdata) is
world writable. (I'd have to check to make sure.)

For Linux, I see some people recommending /var/lib for shared data.
Wouldn't it be sufficient for the program installer / package manager
to create that folder and set up the permissions? If no installer is
used, then the user would have to do it by hand. I don't particularly
see that as a problem for us to solve if Linux doesn't naturally
support this.

--
Matthew Leverton