Re: [AD] 5.0.0 final release plan

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 5:35 AM, Matthew Leverton <meffer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> For Linux, I see some people recommending /var/lib for shared data.

I guess that's supposed to be "state" data. Anyway, in line with my
previous comments, if this isn't something Linux supports, then I
don't think we should try to add support for it. SHARED_DATA could be
synonymous with USER_DATA on Linux.

We could simply warn that:
a) Not all paths are guaranteed to be unique. So you must use unique
file names if you don't want collisions. (Affects different paths
depending on the platform.)
b) The shared folders are guaranteed to be writable by the user AND
permanent (i.e., not /tmp), but they aren't guaranteed to actually be
globally sharable if the platform doesn't natively support that.

--
Matthew Leverton