Re: [AD] 5.0.0 final release plan

On January 3, 2011, Matthew Leverton wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 4:13 AM, Thomas Fjellstrom
>
> <tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Except IMO, SYSTEM_DATA should be ro, so I think that might want to
> > change to what PROGRAM_PATH is now, and APP_DATA becomes what what
> > SYSTEM_DATA was changed to be (some shared user folder). Or call it
> > SHARED_DATA/SHARED_USER_DATA.
>
> So, how about:
>
> BUNDLED_DATA => read-only, internal data ... detected at runtime
> depending on platform
> APP_DATA => read-only, external data ... constant location depending on
> platform
>
> Your program would pick one of the two, depending on how you the
> programmer decide to distribute your game. Most would probably stick
> with BUNDLED_DATA. This is what the demos would use.
>
> If you wanted, you could check both places. But Allegro would not do
> that automatically.
>
> Then you would have:
>
> USER_DATA => writable, external data for one user
> SHARED_DATA => writable, external data for all users
>
> There would be a _SETTINGS folder for all the above, with the
> exception of BUNDLED, as it makes no sense. So there would be
> APP_SETTINGS, USER_SETTINGS, SHARED_SETTINGS.
>
> The suggested locations are only approximate... Should be obvious what
> I really mean:
>
> [linux and OSX]
> BUNDLED_DATA => /path/to/exe OR /path/to/osx/bundle/resource/
>
> APP_DATA => /usr/share/app.name/
> USER_DATA => /home/username/.app.name/
> SHARED_DATA => /usr/share/app.name/.shared/
>
> APP_SETTINGS => /etc/app.name/
> USER_SETTINGS => /home/username/etc/.app.name/
> SHARED_SETTINGS => /etc/app.name/.shared/
>
> I don't know where the appropriate SHARED data should go, so I made up
> a hidden .shared folder. It would have to be world writable.

Ignoring for the moment that those directories aren't quite right (close
enough), the shared bits on linux are a bit problematic. Some installer would
have to put them there, I guess the package manager if thats how the game was
installed. Normally a user wouldn't have permissions to make such a shared
folder. It has to be someone with root/super-user permissions.

That and I don't know of a standard shared, rw location, other than $TEMP.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx