Re: [AD] More X Mode Setting

On 2011-01-17, Thomas Fjellstrom <tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On January 17, 2011, Peter Wang wrote:
> > If that's right, we should be able to query _only_ which extensions are
> > in effect, _without_ getting detailed information about monitors and
> > screen modes, and decide if the blacklisting code is required.  That
> > would be pretty lazy for the common cases (single adapter, or using
> > randr).
>
> We might be able to get away with that, but we still have the issue of
> TwinView. As long as the user never sets the "new adapter" or "new adapter
> position" I think we might be able to lazy init. Otherwise we need to query
> things like the number of adapters and their offsets when creating a display.

Could you work on that, assuming we have a function to detect if
TwinView is in effect?

I've had a look at the NVCtrl library (it is open source, MIT-style).
It seems we won't need to duplicate *too* much code to check if TwinView
is used.  Alternatively we could just run "nvidia-settings -q TwinView".
I should be able to work on that later today.

> That all said, I don't think it may even be necessary. Are you still seeing
> that ugly monitor blanking on even windowed displays? I haven't seen any on
> either my desktop (older Xorg with latest nvidia driver) or my laptop
> (bleeding edge xorg with bleeding edge intel driver). The only annoying thing
> is that the XRandR XRRGetScreenResources function can take upwards of
> 200-500ms to call.

I don't remember any blanking recently.  Then again, since upgrading my
graphics card, I haven't plugged in the spare monitor (with analogue
connector) that I was using for testing dual-head.  I'd need to find a
VGA-DVI adaptor, I think.

The delay is the slowest part of Allegro startup by far, so is worth
avoiding.  Not essential, though.

Peter