Re: [AD] 4.9.21

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 11:11 AM, Thomas Fjellstrom <tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On July 13, 2010, Peter Wang wrote:
> We're overdue for a release so I'll make it this weekend.
> Time for RC1?

So long as we think we're done breaking things. I'm not entirely happy with
the tinting changes. It was nice that I could just do a set_blending, and
have most things tint. Now I have to call different functions when tinting
and when not.. Could the various functions just check if the tint color is
not 0,0,0 and blend, or something?

void my_blit(pic, x, y) {al_draw_tinted_bitmap(pic, my_global_color, x, y);}
void my_tint(color) {my_global_color = color;}

I still think we should have a separate API entry for the tinted version (even if I don't think we need separate vtable entries... at least the OpenGL driver sends all vtable entries back to the same bitmap drawing function - so we could merge the 5 or 6 vtable entries we have right now into a single one). Basically, consider al_draw_bitmap just a special case of al_draw_tinted_bitmap with the color parameter set to solid white.

What I think should go is all the rotated/scaled versions though. They were added before we had the transformations API but are a bit weird now. Especially with the separate vtable entries. al_draw_rotated_bitmap should simply call al_draw_bitmap and set up a rotation matrix before. Having two implementations doing exactly the same always is a bad idea - it means we have to maintain both versions and it confuses users because they don't know why there are two different ways to draw a rotated bitmap.