Re: [AD] Allegro 4.9.20 + MSVS 9

On 2010-04-04, John Murphy <wonsungi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [Notes:]
> - This will be very frustrating for initial MSVS Allegro 5 users and much
> effort will be expended in explaining how to work around this issue.
> - Even when run from the command line, the executables do not give any
> indication why they don't run (the printf() messages are not shown in the
> console.)

The "important" examples should use graphical output and/or native
dialogs for error messages.  The outliers are some audio examples, which
should be updated or rewritten.

> - It requires some debugging just to find out why the programs are exiting
> prematurely
> - The examples (but not the demo) *do* work from inside MS Visual studio, so
> it is even harder to debug why they don't work correctly outside of VS
>
> [Workarounds:]
> - Copy/Move executable files from default output directory ("Debug",
> "Release", etc) to parent directory
> - Copy data folders to each configuration directory ("Debug", "Release",
> etc...)
> - Create symlinks to data folder instead copying all data
> - Modify source code to use relative addresses and check the parent
> directory ("..\data\foo.tga")
> ? Use Path API (I'm not familiar with this API, yet, but it has been
> suggested)

It looks like there is a solution with CMake 2.8.1.  As usual, the
solution is to wait it out ;-)

http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=9163

This mentions 2.8.1 explicitly:
http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/cmake/2010-February/035017.html