Re: [AD] release

On 2010-04-01, Thomas Fjellstrom <tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On April 1, 2010, Peter Wang wrote:
> > Please don't create a branch until we have to.  Backporting is still a
> > pain.
>
> Well you'd only use it if you absolutely couldn't put whatever it was into
> 4.9/5.0. And not creating the branch will mean anyone who wants to add
> something new will just have to wait, and thats not really polite.

We can consider it if it comes up for real.

Branching now means we'll have to merge a boatload of changes later into the
5.1 branch, to pick up (at most) a couple of minor changes collected in the
branch.

Anyway, there are other options.  Someone can use a feature branch or, better,
distributed VCS.  With git you can rebase your changes on top of the latest
Allegro revision and stay up to date.  Once we do branch, we can just apply the
feature on top.

Peter