Re: [AD] 5.1?

On 25 April 2010 07:31, Evert Glebbeek <eglebbk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 24 Apr 2010, at 16:56 , Trent Gamblin wrote:
>> What is everyone's opinion on setting up a 5.1 branch now?
>
> Not sure. Too soon I think, if we're still making changes to the 4.9 branch.
> Once it's frozen it could be done, and arguably should be done so that new
> features can be implemented as needed, but someone will have to make sure
> that fixes applied to the 5.0 branch (as 4.9 then becomes) get applied to
> the 5.1 branch as well.

Even after a "freeze" I think there will be a lot of changes, so I would prefer
hold off until the 5.0 release if we can.

>> I know this was mentioned not long ago, and said to be too
>> early, but I'm working on some pretty major changes now
>> (So far I've 'upgraded' a lot of the transformations to 3d,
>> made the iphone port start using the transformation api
>> instead of direct gl, and begun moving around code and
>> adding in a separate path for the programmable pipeline
>> to be used) and I doubt these things should go into the
>> current 4.9 branch.
>
> Agreed.

If it was me, I would use a local git branch and rebase my local changes on
top of 4.9 every so often (unless other people wish to hack on it).

Otherwise you could create a feature(s) branch.  I think it will make things
easier if you resist merging from the 4.9 branch, and keep changes for
different features in separated commits.  Ideally we would be able to
rebase your changes on top of the 5.1 branch, once it is created.

Peter