Re: [AD] Suggestion: don't clear screen on iPhone

On Sat, October 17, 2009 10:14 am, Elias Pschernig said:
> On Sat, 2009-10-17 at 09:17 -0600, Trent Gamblin wrote:
>> When a display is created now it is always cleared to black and then the buffer is flipped so a
>> black frame appears on the screen. However, on iPhone, this is a problem. On iphone there is
>> something called "Default.png" which is displayed before your app gets to display anything. It
>> should usually be a graphic that looks like the first frame will look when your program actually
>> starts running. So what happens is default.png is zoomed into view and remains a few seconds,
>> then
>> the screen flashes to black, then your own code takes over and you draw your loading screen or
>> whatever. The flash of black is the problem. I would like to remove the clear and flip in
>> display_new.c only for the iphone port. Any problems with this?
>>

> Might actually be a good idea to do this in general - can always call
> al_flip_display() manually after a call to al_create_display() to have
> the same behavior as now - but you're not forced to display a black
> screen. (I think I may have added the black screen because some examples
> looked a bit broken without under X11 - but that can easily be fixed in
> those examples.)

It might be a good idea anyway, but it turns out this doesn't help on iphone.. I could be
doing something wrong though. The best solution I have found is to use a plain black
Default.png and disable the status bar in the Info.plist. I think maybe creating the
opengl context starts it with a black screen so there is always an ugly break between
Default.png and my programs drawing.

Trent :-)