Re: [AD] SF.net SVN: alleg:[12071] allegro/branches/4.9

Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:

And yet other things I tried to import from other libs was broken?

There is a reason I asked for input a long time ago. All these sudden changes are a bit of a shock. Why was it fine before and now its somehow broken?

It shouldn't be a shock - it's a good thing. We should re-think the API as often as possible and don't hesitate to change it if it makes sense. Once A5 is out we can't change it any longer - so we should be damn sure to get things right now.

Of course, in an ideal world, we could have first designed the whole API, then never changed anything later. (And it would have all been done 5 years ago :P) But that's never how it works.. as far as I'm concerned, the API seemed to be constantly evolving - the initial designs of some stuff were wildly different from what we ended up with (e.g. the display stuff).

No one will be used to allegro's api, so they shouldn't find a different, more sane ordering /bad/.

Why do you think (size, buffer) is more sane than (buffer, size)? If there are convincing arguments for that, I wouldn't see a problem changing it. But right now I'm also for (buffer, size) simply because I'm used to it.

--
Elias Pschernig <elias@xxxxxxxxxx>