Re: [AD] Expose events in OS X

Peter Wang wrote:

Typically (especially in proper programs, not examples) you have enough
information to recreate the screen, so there's not any need for Allegro
to handle expose events.  I suppose Allegro could handle it more
efficiently?

Well, the reason why I would find it desirable would be more cross-platform-ness. Nobody developing their A5 program under OSX or Windows will understand what good those expose events do or why you should constantly update the backbuffer. X11 just is so much more stupid than Windows and OSX here :/

Previously it seemed like we'd have to somehow keep a copy of the screen contents, so it simply was impossible for Allegro to do this anyway. The way glxSwapBuffer() works (sometimes), it actually would be possible now to implement a solution.

Still, the reason why I posted was mainly to say that it's actually quite simple to redraw the contents under a typical X11 by calling al_flip_display() - with no change to the library required :) We could simply ignore that and leave our examples to do the complicated (but always correct) way or maybe also show a somewhat sloppy but much easier solution :)

--
Elias Pschernig <elias@xxxxxxxxxx>