[AD] Memory Bitmap to Display blit slow?

I've been noticing this for a while now, but under linux, with the nvidia
binary drivers, bliting a memory bitmap to a regular allegro 5 display is
horrendously slow.

Using SiegeLord's ex_prim example, when you change to software mode fps drops
to 4fps on my (q6600+8800GTS) system. SiegeLord mentioned once that if you
remove the final blit, the fps goes back up to normal, so it is not the
software primitive rendering causing the slowdown. I'm confused as to why it
would be so slow.

I tried setting the new bitmap format before creating the memory bitmap to the
current display flags, but if it did help, it wasn't by much, maybe 1fps. So
it doesn't seem to be a expensive conversion issue.  that leaves texture
uploads being really slow, or the copy from the bitmap to a texture compatible
data structure being the cause.

Anyone else have any ideas? As it is, bliting memory bitmaps to a display is
unusable on my system right now.

Also, in a related note, when I turn the same example's blending off, the text
disappears and the primitives change brightness.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx