Re: [AD] al_update_display_region

On 26 feb 2009, at 10:48, Elias Pschernig wrote:
Only in a double buffered mode though. And usually you would only use
al_update_display_region in single buffer mode (and usually you would
not use it at all.. I just felt it was appropriate to use where I used
it in ex_font, even if it makes most sense to be the same as
al_flip_display there :P).

It should be possible to do al_update_display_region() on OS X. I'll look into it.

Ok, I tried doing this with current SVN. I *think* I understood all the
code I modified for WGL/D3D/OSX-GL and adjusted it correctly - people
who can compile and test each of those should make sure though :)

OS X code looks fine, but I haven't tried running it yet.

Also,
as I said in the commit message, this might not be the last change, it's
not really clear why e.g. ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN is passed to
al_set_new_display_flags and not al_set_new_display_option...

When it comes to that, I would much rather call one function where I or in a number of flags than call a function where I set one parameter to some value at a time. It does make sense to have al_set_new_display_flags(flags) internally use al_set_display_option() (assuming each flag bit corresponds to the shifted value of the option, in the way they are currently stored in the required/suggested fields) and treat flags as required options. In that scheme, the flags would only be used as a convenience by the user, while Allegro internally uses an option list.

Also, I noticed that ex_expose now fail here because it uses this:

About expose events: what happens if I don't want to handle expose events myself (ie, I don't set it as an option when setting the display options). Does Allegro process the events internally? The reason I'm asking is that I have the impression that in the X11 port you *have to* capture expose events and on other platforms you *don't have to*, which isn't a desirable situation - I should only have to handle expose events if I say I want to handle them, if I am given that choice. Maybe I misinterpreted some of the discussion on how the X11 port works at the moment, so maybe someone can clarify this for me.

Evert