Re: [AD] al_update_display_region

On Wed, 2009-02-25 at 17:15 +0200, Milan Mimica wrote:
> 2009/2/25 Elias Pschernig <elias.pschernig@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> >
> > For the scenario where you actually have to know whether the two
> > functions do something different (I couldn't think of a reason), we
> > could provide a display flag returned by al_get_display_flags() which
> > indicates whether the current display does support it.
>
> The function is used if you want to implement some DRS on singe buffer
> displays. Yes, the user will call al_flip_display() if it fails, but
> the he should know that happened. So I think it's best to have it just

Yes, users would know that from a display flag instead. No need to do
the check at each single call of the function.

> return false. What concerns me more is that the function can be
> implemented only in D3D IIRC. In WGL it's just a driver hint. Maybe we
> should remove it.

Something like A4's old X11 driver also would implement it. I think it
should be more a hint to the display driver, something like "do an
al_flip_display, but really only this rectangle would require updating".

If you want to have two code pathes, one with a DRS, one without, you
likely want to know this at the start of the program - not later when
you actually try to call the function.

--
Elias Pschernig <elias@xxxxxxxxxx>