Re: [AD] X Multimonitor support

On 2008-12-14, Thomas Fjellstrom <tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On December 14, 2008, Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:

> > > I solved (I think) the problem by adding locks around the Xinerama
> > > calls, so there was probably some race condition.
> >
> > How? Its not like the function that creates the connection and then queries
> > the extensions is running in multiple threads, it makes no sense to me. To
> > me, that sounds like broken X. A single thread, making regular calls into X
> > should not lock up. Its the code that sets up the X stuff for peats sake,
> > nothing has a pointer to any of it yet.
>
> Ok, so its not locking up in the initial setup.. I'm tired.. Anyhow, I still
> don't see why its locking up when querying xinerama info later on, what could
> possibly cause it to lock up in that example?

Our X background thread would already be running.  Maybe it is calling
XNextEvent or something concurrently.  I don't have time to investigate now.

Stop assuming it's a broken installation.  I've been running xinerama on
this system for about a year without trouble.  It's not like it's the
first time we've had problems with threads on X which go away when we
put in locks (as we should).

Peter