[AD] file system routines

What's the purpose, goal, etc of the file system routines?
<http://www.liballeg.org/naturaldocs/files/src/fshook-c.html> How do
they compare to A4's pack files? Is Allegro supposed to use them for
all I/O?

Do the names have to be similar to C's I/O? I'd rather see a
consistent A5 API than trying to emulate a weird legacy one.

e.g. object first,  al_fs_entry_iputl(ALLEGRO_FS_ENTRY *f, int32_t i)

Also, functions like:

int32_t al_fs_entry_igetl(ALLEGRO_FS_ENTRY *f)

How do you tell the difference between EOF and -1 (or 0xffffffff)? I
prefer the following style:

bool al_fs_entry_igetl(ALLEGRO_FS_ENTRY *f, int32_t *i)

And what exactly is a "fs_entry"? I don't mind the double al_fs_
prefix as it makes naming conflicts less likely. As such, wouldn't
al_fs_getc() be just as appropriate?

--
Matthew Leverton