Re: [AD] website after SF dropped interactive ssh access?

On Tuesday 23 September 2008, Elias Pschernig wrote:
> SourceForge permanently dropped interactive SSH access a few days ago,
> which means our current website on alleg.sf.net aka www.liballeg.org
> cannot be updated any longer with the current svn-to-web scripts. Now we
> have two options:
>
> 1. Someone (grzegorz?) updates all the template and translation scripts
> so instead of doing things on the webserver, it is done locally and then
> all the resulting files are uploaded over rsync (or with sftp). Not sure
> how much work it would be, likely not a lot.
>
> 2. We drop the current site and start over with a new one, or possibly
> redirect to allegro.cc or wiki.allegro.cc.
>
> Myself I find the
> edit-html-template-and-insert-translation-markers-and-edit-translation-file
>s-and-commit-to-svn way of updating the current website somewhat cumbersome,
> so this is a good excuse to try and get rid of it again :)
>
> Of course, option 2 means we lose translations (I wouldn't mind though,
> they are basically not being maintained any longer anyway), and old
> contents would need to be transferrred (most of it could need a cleanup
> anyway - and we could also simply leave the old pages up). Also the
> layout would most likely be lost, depending on what we do. And of
> course, if we don't simply redirect to the wiki, it would need a
> volunteer to build the new site..

As I mentioned in IRC, I can setup a new mirror or maybe the main mirror on
strangesoft.net, it currently has much better uptime and bandwidth than the
wiki's server does. TBH I've been planning on "borrowing" trent's liballeg.org
address for a new mirror for a while. the strangesoft.net server has lots of
disk space, has access to mysql, php, perl, ftp, cron, mail, mail lists,
custom domains, and some limited ssh (not sure if I can grant ssh access to
anyone, or if its just limited to my main account).

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx