Re: [AD] Question about versions

On Saturday 23 August 2008, Colin Ward wrote:
> On 23/08/2008, you wrote:
> >> My plan is to release Allegro based on either 4.2 or 4.3 (probably
> >> 4.2) and
> >> then as a side project I'll hack on the Amiga version of 4.9/5.0 so
> >> it's
> >> ready whenever you guys finish the Linux/Mac/Windows versions.  The
> >> questions above are to ensure that the version I release (4.2 or
> >> 4.3) is
> >> the right choice.  I don't want to have to come back to it if possible
> >
> > Is there any particular reason you're not contributing your port for
> > inclusion in the main distribution?
>
> Because it's not finished yet.  :-)
>
> But as soon as it is, I'll put the source in Subversion (I believe I even
> have an account that someone gave me a good year ago) for everyone's
> enjoyment.  The binaries can also go on the official Allegro release page,
> assuming you'll have 'em.  :-)

Code dumps like this are rather evil, we MUCH prefer you make regular commits.
This way not only can you get input from the rest of us, you might get more
people testing it, or asking to help.

> There is one question to be answered before anything goes into Subversion
> though.  The Amiga isn't very well equipped to deal with configure scripts.
>  We are quasi-POSIX compliant, which makes it easier to port stuff, and we
> do have Unix shells, but ultimately for most porting projects it is easier
> to roll our own makefiles.
>
> So what is the policy regarding makefiles?  Does the Amiga's makefile have
> to fit in with the Allegro build system or can I just submit a
> makefile.amiga in the root directory?

the configure system was mainly for Unix'es with X available, and linux with X
or svgalib/fbcon available. Adding another port to the configure script would
probably cause it to self implode under its own complexity.

You can take a look at the dos, windows and other ports that have makefiles and
base yours on those.