Re: [AD] allegrowww updates

On 2008-06-02, Peter Wang <novalazy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2008-06-01, Marco Radaelli <xoot123@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > after a lot of time, I finally got back to update the translations.
> >
> > I did some changes at saturday noon, but they're not yet visible on the site, while they used to appear after about 24 hours, IIRC.
> >
> > Is there anything that I'm missing?
>
> We have to manually run the scripts on the SF shell server.
> I've done that now.

Ugh, that really sucks. I thought I had a cron job set up, but now it
looks like I'm unable to even log in, with my password and everything
else being refused!

Serves me well for being dead so long.

Hey guys, why not ditch the current web system and put something you
could actually update? Whatever that may be, I haven't touched the web
in ages...

The main reasons for the current system were:

 * Maintaining several mirros with different levels of binary files. For
   example, Shawn's website couldn't handle the traffic and large
   amounts of files to download.
 * Trying to be clever and CVS integrated, were commiting something
   would automatically generate and mirror everything.
 * Let translators do their work at their pace without being a block in
   the way of writting new English content.

I think the first point is a nice idea, but really, when does
SourceForge get down? I believe it would ease everything to put all in
one place and let the old mirrors point towards the new site. Besides,
the "no mirror huge files at talula" feature is terribly ugly and
brittle, with practically no one understanding it.

The second seems to be more trouble than ever, since now crons at SF
don't really work and the site would be better suited to be updated with
ssh+rsync or something like that.

Finally, the translator side also got dried up because of the clumsy
way of making translations. I've figured out by now a better way but no
time on my hands as usual to do anything. If you consider the
"community" as a whole, really having a poorly updated translated site
is less worth than a well maintained only English site. Isn't it.

As horrible as it sounds, I've been looking for easy to write webs
software for the company I'm working for. The closest thing I've found
would be http://www.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/. Anybody know of something
similar that could be used here?