Re: [AD] allegrowww updates

On Sat, 2008-06-21 at 23:26 +0200, Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz wrote:

> Ugh, that really sucks. I thought I had a cron job set up, but now it
> looks like I'm unable to even log in, with my password and everything
> else being refused!
>
> Serves me well for being dead so long.

Welcome back!

> Hey guys, why not ditch the current web system and put something you
> could actually update? Whatever that may be, I haven't touched the web
> in ages...

I guess, the main reason is, nobody wants to take the responsibility..
so we left it at you :)

> The main reasons for the current system were:
>
>  * Maintaining several mirros with different levels of binary files. For
>    example, Shawn's website couldn't handle the traffic and large
>    amounts of files to download.
>  * Trying to be clever and CVS integrated, were commiting something
>    would automatically generate and mirror everything.
>  * Let translators do their work at their pace without being a block in
>    the way of writting new English content.
>
> I think the first point is a nice idea, but really, when does
> SourceForge get down? I believe it would ease everything to put all in
> one place and let the old mirrors point towards the new site. Besides,
> the "no mirror huge files at talula" feature is terribly ugly and
> brittle, with practically no one understanding it.
>
> The second seems to be more trouble than ever, since now crons at SF
> don't really work and the site would be better suited to be updated with
> ssh+rsync or something like that.
>
> Finally, the translator side also got dried up because of the clumsy
> way of making translations. I've figured out by now a better way but no
> time on my hands as usual to do anything. If you consider the
> "community" as a whole, really having a poorly updated translated site
> is less worth than a well maintained only English site. Isn't it.

Yeah, something which allows to use all the gettext tools. Back when you
implemented the translation system for the website, gettext probably
didn't even exist yet - but seems to be some kind of standard in open
source projects by now. With those mentioned really useful and easy to
use tools.

> As horrible as it sounds, I've been looking for easy to write webs
> software for the company I'm working for. The closest thing I've found
> would be http://www.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/. Anybody know of something
> similar that could be used here?

I guess it will not be easy finding something which runs on the SF
server - even installing something simple like wordpress probably would
be hard. Wouldn't know though.

--
Elias Pschernig <elias@xxxxxxxxxx>