Re: [AD] mixers gone?

On 2008-04-28, Ryan Dickie <goalieca@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 4:23 PM, Peter Wang <novalazy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >  But since the code is there (or would be there) anyway, we might as well
> >  allow the user to use it in some preprocessing stages.  I agree that it
> >  should be transparent for the common case where you just want to play
> >  some sounds.
>
> What kind of preprocessing do you have in mind? Are there some use
> cases you can think of?

I don't know if this would work, but say you're standing outside a cave
and you have an NPC talking to you, but you can also hear water and
gunfire coming from inside the cave.  You could mix together the water
and gunfire together, run that through an echo-type filter then play
that filtered sample alongside the unfiltered NPC speech.
Actually, that would be a nice little example program ;-)

> >  ALSA dmix is not necessarily enabled, and OSS never had such a thing
> >  (and we need that to support the *BSDs, I think) so as a practical
> >  matter we need a mixer anyway.  It's not particularly complicated code,
> >  is it?
> >

> Well the ALSA claims the dmix has been enabled by default since
> version 1.0.9rc2. From what I have found, that version was released
> about 3 years ago.

Well, it never seems to work on my brother's machine.  Actually my sound
card supports hardware mixing so I haven't had to deal with it for a
while so I might be out of date.

> Sure OSS is pretty much raw control over the sound device. Even two
> applications trying to play a sound at the same time have to fight
> over it. I can copy the mixer code into a new oss.c file in case any
> one wishes to use it for that architecture.

Why not leave the mixer code platform- and driver-independent, as it
already was?  Even if you don't expose it to the user that would be
more sensible.

Peter