Re: [AD] mixers gone?

On 2008-04-28, Ryan Dickie <goalieca@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hmm, sorry. I guess I got a bit carried away trying to refactor in order to
> make things more manageable.
>
> I was on #allegro-dev and I found out the 'mixer' was meant to be more of a
> 'filter' system where people could do fancy audio effects processing. I
> could add something like what i describe below.

Actually, there is a much simpler purpose: we need to be able to support sound
cards/drivers which don't support multiple voices and we need to be able to
work with samples/streams with differing same sampling rates or formats.
AFAICS all that code is gone and I guess you rely on OpenAL to handle that.
But OpenAL won't be the only backend.

> Each voice has an attached sample. Each voice could also have a set of
> attached 'filters'. We could do something like this:
>
> //generate kernels based on sample properties like depth, frequency, etc.
> //a small set of stock kernels, users will obviously have to make their own
> to do custom effects
> void* kernel1 = al_filter_make_kernel(AL_SAMPLE* spl,
> ALLEGRO_GAUSSIAN_KERNEL);
> //adding a filter simply convolves the kernels always yielding a single
> kernel
> //this single kernel will be convolved with the sound sample when it is time
> // f * (g * h) = ( f * g ) * h
> // scalar a for amplification/attentuation can be factored in as well.
> al_voice_add_filter( void* kernel1, int len );
> al_voice_add_filter( void* kernel2, int len );
> al_voice_clear_filters();

You'll have to explain this idea more.

Peter