Re: [AD] OpenGL code

On Fri, 2008-01-11 at 16:11 +0000, Peter Hull wrote:
> I don't know anything about GLEW but I'd guess the number of
> extensions that we need is quite small - just pbuffers and texture
> rectangles?

I have no idea about either of those, but I'd like to use framebuffer
objects for drawing onto textures myself - the OpenGL 1.0 way currently
implemented is just horrible (copying from the texture to memory,
modifying it there using our memory functions, then uploading the
texture again).

Anyway, I assume your suggestion is to just use some code to get
function pointers to extension function we actually use in a platform
independent way, and don't care about others?

It would mean users have to do their own extension handling again (e.g.
by using GLEW), but at least in the case where they use just the Allegro
API and no own OpenGL code this indeed would mean one dependency less.

Since I still have no idea how to load extensions myself, I'm ok with
all three possibilities (1. try to merge the extension handling from
AllegroGL, 2. require GLEW as dependency, 3. handle just the extensions
we need and leave users alone).

Anyone else has thoughts on this?

--
Elias Pschernig <elias@xxxxxxxxxx>