Re: [AD] Allegro fails to initialize sound under Pulseaudio

On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 19:09 -0600, Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
> On Tue October 23 2007, Elias Pschernig wrote:
> > > I still don't get the point of that, force everything else to mix to it?
> > > so the mixing is bottle necked in the clients instead?
> >
> > My guess is, high quality sound apps have to use floating point anyway
> > as they absolutely must avoid any internal clipping, and for others
> > the int->float conversion of the buffer is not a bottleneck. E.g. I
> > can't notice any difference here between using Alsa directly or
> > routing it through Jack with Allegro, neither in lag nor CPU use.
>
> High quality? Its aiming to replace esd, you hardly need to target high end
> anything :P
>
> But get enough stuff going, and that int->float conversion may become an
> issue, especially in apps that do it inefficiently. Why make all apps do it,
> possibly very wrong, when its easy enough to include a converter in the sound
> server itself, and have it guaranteed to be the best possible solution?

I think portaudio is the one who aims to replace ESD, not Jack:
http://jackaudio.org/

The main design goal of Jack was lowest possible latency (their FAQ says
none at all "When we say none, we mean absolutely zero."). And using
32-bit floats for all data means it's easy to route them between
different applications without ever losing quality or having to do
conversions (only applications themselves may need to convert if they
use a different format, like Allegro).

--
Elias Pschernig <elias@xxxxxxxxxx>