Re: [AD] Allegro fails to initialize sound under Pulseaudio

On Tue October 23 2007, Elias Pschernig wrote:
> > I still don't get the point of that, force everything else to mix to it?
> > so the mixing is bottle necked in the clients instead?
>
> My guess is, high quality sound apps have to use floating point anyway
> as they absolutely must avoid any internal clipping, and for others
> the int->float conversion of the buffer is not a bottleneck. E.g. I
> can't notice any difference here between using Alsa directly or
> routing it through Jack with Allegro, neither in lag nor CPU use.

High quality? Its aiming to replace esd, you hardly need to target high end
anything :P

But get enough stuff going, and that int->float conversion may become an
issue, especially in apps that do it inefficiently. Why make all apps do it,
possibly very wrong, when its easy enough to include a converter in the sound
server itself, and have it guaranteed to be the best possible solution?