Re: [AD] moving 4.3 branch to 4.9

On 5/20/07, Peter Wang <novalazy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2007-05-20, Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz <gradha@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I wonder if reusing numbers is good at all or the 4.3.x branch should
> never be used again.

It's just whether we mind skipping 4.4.  If not we can use 4.5.x.

The odd series aren't guaranteed to be compatible in any direction at
any level, so we don't have any obligation to skip an entire 4.4
release.

There will be confusion no matter what we do, so I think it makes the
most sense to just reuse 4.3 for the next stable version (4.4). If
someone happens to be using 4.3 for casual use, it's not like they are
going to expect that they need to go from 4.3 -> 4.9. They'll probably
assume they need to go from 4.3 -> 4.5. And that defeats the purpose
of skipping 4.3/4.4.

Whenever 4.3.next is released, all we have to do is make sure the
announcement on the website makes it clear what's going on. And, as
mentioned on the last IRC discussion, we wouldn't actually re-use
4.3.0 and 4.3.1. We could also even skip a few sub releases to help
give a clue that there isn't a continuous line between them. (4.3.9
was recommended, but I think the 9 could be sort of confusing with
4.9. So I'd pick 4.3.5...)

--
Matthew Leverton