Re: [AD] Organizing an Allegro Hack Day

On April 8, 2007, Evert Glebbeek wrote:
> > And I'm not going to bother with automake and autoconf anymore. :)
> > as I said
> > in the meeting anyone that wants autotools can keep it up to date
> > themselves.
>
> Just making clear that I really do have a reason for wanting to keep
> it, not just nostalgia.

Yeah, I know theres a clear argument. A valid reason. But I don't think it'll
stay valid for too much longer. KDE has been one heck of a stress test on
cmake. I can see it really taking off after kde 4 is released.

So far, kdelibs, kdebase and some others build about 5x faster. Possibly more.
IMO, its better in about every way. The syntax isn't horrible, its faster,
has wide support for platforms, is plenty extendable, and some more things I
can't recall.

addendum, The checks are faster, theres a bunch of defaults, it manages to
support make's -j support without horribly breaking the compile, or
disabling -j totally. like many autoconf makefiles, the commands are embedded
in shell script, which checks for files and waits on stuff, bash is horribly
slow, and thats all a configure script is :o, and then theres libtool.. Oh
man how I loathe libtool, its like MSs new dll handling in MSVC, if you don't
have the proper .la file, and it wasn't all created with libtool, it wont
find your lib, you're just out of luck.

So far theres really only one reason to keep autotools support at all.
Compatibility for people that _can't_ install cmake or scons. I await the day
when it won't be an issue.

> > As a last resort I can at least start making releases for 4.3. I
> > can't promise
> > much of anything else. If people really started working on 4.3
> > more, that'd
> > probably spur me to work more on allegro.
>
> Well, that's sortof what happened a few years ago.
>
> > I think so. Audio still sorta needs cleared up, Milan wasn't there
> > to talk
> > about it, so one soonish (week or two?) would be a good idea.
>
> My calendar tends to be booked full about two weeks in advance...
> maybe once every two weeks is also a bit much.

A month then?

> > Maybe not
> > something scheduled so early in the morning ;)
> >
> :)
>
> Well, I suppose it will be hard to find a time that suits everyone
> around the world. For me, the time itself was fine. Probably better
> than anything later.

Yeah.. But 6am was a bit early for me. I'll have to make sure I actually
remember it next time. The only reason I was there at all was I woke up for a
drink of water, and sat down to take my meds, and saw your email about the
meeting. So it was a total fluke. I actually woke up at about ten to 5am..
and was like "Ah man, now I have to stay up :(". Oh well.

> Evert

> your opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys-and earn cash

Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx