Re: [AD] Organizing an Allegro Hack Day

On April 7, 2007, Evert Glebbeek wrote:
> Just been reading through the chat log on the wiki while my main
> machine is updating X11. Looks like it was a useful session with a
> lot of ground covered, well done! :) I'll go through the BITMAP/
> DISPLAY stuff again to see if I have anything to contribute to that
> discussion, but it looks like points I would have liked to raise were
> raised.
>
> One thing I want to comment on is my preference for sticking with
> autotools: they're standard installs and at least one of the systems
> I use (used) for testing didn't have anything more fancy installed.
> Switching to a different build system would make it harder to install
> Allegro on such a system. No, I can't become root on said system to
> install new software. Yes, I can install it locally, no I'm not going
> to bother. ;)

And I'm not going to bother with automake and autoconf anymore. :) as I said
in the meeting anyone that wants autotools can keep it up to date themselves.

> Between me and Peter having little time to do more than urge anyone
> on, does it seem that we need a new Dictator? When I "took over" (I
> don't actually feel that I did, all I tried to do was make a point to
> everyone posting forum messages on what should be done and how
> without actually contributing anything themselves) a new impulse to
> implement things drew in some more dormant and new developers,
> something similar might happen now if someone else can push the cart
> for a bit. ;)

As a last resort I can at least start making releases for 4.3. I can't promise
much of anything else. If people really started working on 4.3 more, that'd
probably spur me to work more on allegro. A REAL hack day now and then would
be great in that regard.

> Do we plan to make meetings like this regular (or semi-regular)? I'll
> try to make it next time.

I think so. Audio still sorta needs cleared up, Milan wasn't there to talk
about it, so one soonish (week or two?) would be a good idea. Maybe not
something scheduled so early in the morning ;)

> Evert

> your opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys-and earn cash

Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx